Here we go.

17 July 2009

ATM & I are going to Memphis this weekend. We've got no plans, just stepping out for a moment.

Yesterday evening was a good evening for harvesting tomatoes. I've been waiting for this! This goes w/o saying, but this is the only time of year that tomatoes are good. Any other time, they are disgusting and inedible. And I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel to grow my own. They really do taste better.


O.K., so maybe I'll revise my weight loss goal to 10 lbs. instead of 20, which is still a tall order. To be fair to myself, it will take time to do this right, so I shouldn't go for some lofty goal in such a short amount of time. Things are going well, though, just slowly.

For those of you who don't know, my mother & her siblings are Vietnamese refugees. Fort Chaffee (in Ft. Smith, Arkansas) is where they stayed when they arrived to the United States. Both of our parents have never been forthcoming about our family history. Too, it's difficult to draw anything out of them. We have bits and pieces, but we largely do not know anything about our families. To me, Ft. Chaffee is the closest thing to immediate family history that KMHD & I have. I occasionally get anxious when I hear about the disrepair or the damage that happens there. There was a big fire not long ago that wiped out a hundred barracks.

A long time ago, I was still in grade school, my mother took my sister & I to the barrack, to the very cot that she slept on. It's just a vague memory -- I wish I could remember it with total clarity. I hope to visit Chaffee really soon before there's not a lot left to reconnect with.

I'm going to ask my mum for photos, if she has any, to post here.




1 comment:

kmhd said...

I think we may have to secretly interview our family with wires and tape recorders. Di Hong told me a bit about Mom and Dad's meeting and courtship but my memory is ailing. I want to know. It is all very sad and tragic. You could speculate that their stories got better, but did they really? They left their Eastern problems and acquired Western ones. Our family is so stoic, mysterious.

I'm growing tomatoes next year or else!

Blog Archive